Empty
I lost my voice for a little while today
I couldn’t think of any words to say
I wanted to say something amazing and profound
But the words just couldn’t seem to be found
I wanted to say something to let people know how I feel
But I couldn’t come up with anything that seemed to be real
All I could do was sit here and try
And all I wanted to do was sit here and cry
To have no one hear what you want them to
Leaves you feeling sad and powerless and not sure what to do
And then I realized that this happens every day
In a million places in a hundred different ways
People on the outskirts looking in
With no one to listen or let them in
People wounded by the pain of life and living in despair
That have no idea that anyone listens or even cares
I lost my voice for a moment but they lost theirs for good
They’ve been beaten and battered and misunderstood
They’ve been left on the outside looking in
And we’ve called them all kinds of things and looked down on them and their sin
And we’ve built buildings to keep them out
And we’ve yelled at them and we scream and we shout
And we tell them they won’t get very far
And we trample all over their wounds and their scars
And we walk away without asking their story
And we think we’ve done something for His glory
But we never saw and we never cared
And we walked away because we were scared
We never wanted to get close enough to see their pain
And be reminded of our own scars and secret shame
And we never wanted to dirty our hands or our lives with their pain
So we left them there, in the cold and in the rain
And we call ourselves followers of Christ
Yet we walk away from the tough things in life
Jesus faced heartache and pain
And He was a friend to sinners, the weak and the lame
He walked with them and shared their story and their pain
And He loved them and knew them and called them by name
He hear d them when no one else knew they were there
And He held them close and He told them He cared
And He walked the journey with them and listened to what they’d say
And even His very life wasn’t to great a price to pay
God help us see those around us, those on the outside
Those that the world has looked down on and denied
Those that have no voice to speak
Those who are the outcasts, the hated, the weak
Give us ears to hear and hearts to listen to what You ask us to do
Renew a right spirit within us and make us new
Help us to live by example and not just words
Because actions are often more able to be heard
Grant me the ability to love when I don’t’ want to or think I can
And the strength to take my brother or sisters hand
Grant me a heart to hear you call my name
And to walk with you, never be the same
Give me the courage to listen as You speak
A heart that wants to know and seeks
To be your hands and feet in a world in need
And allow others the gift to lead
Help me remember and see
What all of this truly means
I lost my voice today
But I found it along the way
I found it when I stopped to help my sister and brother
When I recognized myself in another
When I stopped walking on by
When I stopped running away and trying to hide
I found my voice when I allowed others to find their own
And that’s the greatest voice I’ve ever known.
9-4-10
.
No comments:
Post a Comment